Saturday, May 14, 2011

Enough Has Probably Been Made...

... didn't expect my "super gay" comment to start a "thing," and "thing" might be too strong of a word, but it definitely took on a life of its own. Heard from many blog readers, two of whom just happen to be gay, neither one was offended by the term, and both felt it was PC.

It's given me a lot to think about. My favorite blogger, Michelle O'Neil has fed me such great things through the years of reading her blog. In this particular one she says succinctly, "perception is a mirror." I have long believed that concept, but that particular phrase was extra helpful. Anyway, ever since the "thing" with "super gay" I have taken a look in the mirror and seen that I am over-sensitive about certain words. Of course, there is zero tolerance for many, but do I need to flinch and nearly come unglued when someone says, "stupid?" They don't mean anything by it. They are not disparaging my child personally. They are using a word that nearly everyone uses. Period. That's the extent of it. It is not a loaded word, but I have made it one.

There have been many times in the last five years of writing this blog that I wonder what it is I'm even doing, why put my thoughts/ideas/fears/experiences and understandings down for everyone to read - what's the point? Then just about when I'm ready to wrap it up for good because it doesn't feel worth the occasional backlash, someone says something like this: "I really appreciate all your writing about Rojo and Rojo in public places. I don't have kids. I'm not close with anyone who has a special needs kid. I DO work at Trader Joe's and have opportunity to interact with special needs kids. Your writings have helped me do so in an easy going, go with the flow-type manner. I hope to be seen as one who 'gets it' to make the shopping experience easier on my customers."

And then I get back in the saddle again.

No comments:

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards BrenĂ© Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...