Thursday, January 10, 2013

Well On Her Way


You guys haven't heard about THE BOOK in a few days, so let me set about correcting that!!! When I wrote THE BOOK, I deliberately made Woohoo and STM "shadow characters," people who are essential to the story, but are not really in it, you know? I did this for a number of reasons, their privacy, respect for them having their own version of "my" story, and with memoir, you have to decide what the story is, and tell that. In my case, THE BOOK is about my spiritual evolution that Rojo forced upon me and has held my feet to the fire with ever since.

I love both my children equally, but what they require from me is anything but equal, thus, the relationship between the two is very different. That's been hard for Woohoo over the years, understandably. She has toyed with the idea of becoming a therapist for special needs siblings. She'd be great, and I think the niche is big and only going to get bigger. It's true that it takes one to know one, and she would be so helpful to so many.

Woohoo is still home from college, she goes back on Saturday after four weeks of being back in the nest. I think that having gone away and returned after four months, she sees us all with different, more mature, older and wiser eyes. Yesterday she was hanging out with Rojo and me while we did what we do: talk about the flavors of frozen yogurt, which kind of fruit to put in our refrigerated water next, and various other super important things. "You guys are like BFFs," she said, without the slightest trace of jealousy, resentment, anger, or sadness. Only awareness and acceptance.


* Photo from http://www.acceptingevangelicals.org


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The issues in our house are different but I sometimes find myself wishing for the passage of time till Big Sis has reached some level of maturity - awful to say hey????

Elizabeth said...

Wow. That's intense to me. Sometimes, as I dress my nearly eighteen year old daughter in the morning, I can't believe how much time we've spent together over the years. It's really just astounding.

kario said...

You are amazing. All of you.

Love.

Me said...

How's Project Veggie going?

fullsoulahead.com said...

God only knows the things that girl will do, with all she knows. She is a light in her own right. I respect her.

Tanya Savko said...

She's amazing. Aidan needs to be her first client.

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards BrenĂ© Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...