Sunday, January 6, 2013

Making Peace




“There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he 
does not know till he takes up a pen to write.” 

 --  William Makepeace Thackeray, novelist (1811-1863)


My agent has this quote in her "signature," and each time I get an e-mail from her, I read it and think, so true. At least for me, writing is how I figure out what I think, what I want, what I believe, what I'm moving towards and what I no longer want to be a part of. It's how I sort myself out. It's how I tap in. It's how I know myself. And I didn't understand this until tonight when I read her latest e-mail and saw that the author's middle name was Makepeace, that indeed, that is what writing does for me: it helps me make peace.

I imagine it's the same for artists, musicians, probably athletes and anyone else doing what they love, whatever that may be. Making peace. Can enough be made of finding the time to do what it is that helps us make that peace within ourselves?





2 comments:

kario said...

Nope. Not enough can be made of it.

I often wonder at how easy it was for me to identify those things that brought about peace in me when I was a kid and when I lost it. I know I regained it somewhere in my mid-thirties when I started to write, and I thank God I did.

Love.

fullsoulahead.com said...

You might like....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxOfONveds

xo

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards Brené Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...