Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Passed Up



It's official: I am the shortest one in the family. Just in the last week Rojo has passed me up, not by much, but enough. Considering that he is STM, Jr. in a million different ways, I'm sure he'll eventually be way, way taller than me.

Growing taller is not the only thing that Rojo's been doing this summer. I cannot believe the difference in him even since his birthday just less than a month ago. He is more responsible. He is more independent. He has better behavior. He is extra thoughtful and has good manners, especially when texting.

Yesterday he texted from the school to say he was going up to the neighborhood grocery store. "Do you need anything?" he asked. "I'll be back in 15 minutes. Love you. Bye." Actually, it's all in caps when he texts, just like when he types and prints, and come to think of it, speaks. He's an all caps type of person.

Our behavioral/developmental pediatrician has been after me for months, to get him to go up to that store just a few blocks away, get whatever is on a short list, and come back. Yesterday he initiated the whole thing all on his own. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Not only am I now looking up to him, I am really looking up to him.

9 comments:

kario said...

We all are. I am so thrilled that he is growing into himself this summer. What a joy for all of you!

Anonymous said...

You're both growing.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Now that's BIG.

Tanya Savko said...

I am so happy to read this! Congrats on the wing check!

Elizabeth said...

Wow. I have been reading your blog for a long time, and I'm marveling at all of this. So wonderful. Thanks for sharing, Shorty. :)

fullsoulahead.com said...

Wow. NECBM about all of this. What a summer for Rojo.

Dee said...

On August 4, you asked, "What kind of mother am I?"
All of us responded with accolades for your type of mothering.

In today's pos, just five days later, both you and all of us see just what kind of mother you are--the kind who encourages and then rejoices in her son's independence.

Leslie at SugarAndSpiceADK. said...

GO ROJO!! (note the all caps used here). About 3 years ago I officially became the shrimp of my family--everyone else is over 6 feet tall (including our daughter), and I'm a stumpy 5'6".....but that's okay, because we moms will always hold the power!

Amber said...

That is great! I wonder if it is his summer job that has encourged him so? He sees what he can do, how old he is, how he can do things? Wonderful.

:)

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards BrenĂ© Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...