Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Bigger PIcture


I am not one to get too political on this blog, for any number of reasons. I did, however, watch and thoroughly appreciate The Bigger Picture on Oprah's Super Soul Sunday. Reverend Ed Bacon, Elizabeth Lesser, and Mark Nepo formed a panel talking about issues in the world today, and what is behind them. It was excellent. I have a huge bias when it comes to medications for anxiety/depression and ADHD. When Oprah gave statistics and then asked the panel if they thought we were becoming a pill nation, their answers were perfect (because they agreed with me). I'll skip to the chase: if medications can help you step more into your life, they're good, if they keep you out of life, they are bad. ADHD meds were not discussed, but let me just tell you that it is my firm belief that while there may be mis-diagnosis/mis-prescribing going on, there are also a lot of people going undiagnosed that could greatly benefit from the right medication, not to mention all the people that "get to" live with them.

Violence, terrorism, gun control, other hot topics were all discussed with such wisdom. Do yourself a big favor and take the time to watch The Bigger Picture.


3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I have Nepo's "The Book of Awakening" and find it essential!

kario said...

Okay, okay. I'm not much for TV, but since it's rainy and grey here today, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the wisdom!

fullsoulahead.com said...

"if medications can help you step more into your life, they're good, if they keep you out of life, they are bad."

I like those sentiments.

Of course some medications are causing the violent and suicidal behaviors, so there's that to consider as well. No one size fits all for anything.

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards Brené Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...