Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Caligynephobia



Many days when I take Rojo to frozen yogurt after school, our friend, C., comes too. Such was the case last week when we went to our favorite haunt, sat on the red stools looking out the window, and tried to ponder what the answer was to the trivia question they had on the chalkboard. "What is erythrophobia?"

We like answering them because A) you get a free punch on your punch card if you guess right, and B) it's just plain fun to guess. We knew phobia meant fear of, but we did not correctly guess that erythrophobia was fear of blushing.

C. said, "Did you know there's such a thing as a fear of beautiful women? It's true, you can Google it."

"No, I did not know that," I said.

"Well, Rojo does not have that fear," C. said.

"Rojo? Are you afraid of beautiful women?" I asked.

"No, I am not," he said matter-of-factly.

"He definitely is not," C. said, "he talks to them all the time at school. He'll talk to anyone! He talks to everyone!"

So, we're crossing calignyephobia off the list of things to worry about. Now on to tackle his entomophobia (fear of insects).



* Photo from http://www.fearofstuff.com

2 comments:

kario said...

Ha! Good luck with the fear of bugs. I was pretty arachnophobic (spiders) until I lived on my own in college and had no choice but to take care of the little buggers myself. Bumped up against it again when I began leaning towards Buddhism and realized the only humane way to get rid of them was to capture them and relocate them outside. I did it, but it took 40 years and a lot of deep breathing.

fullsoulahead.com said...

That's the beauty of Rojo isn't it? No ego. No fear.

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards BrenĂ© Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...