Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Autism Awareness



So sue me, I missed Autism Awareness Day on the 2nd. I find it hard to believe that there's a soul alive that's unaware of autism. 1 in 88 kids has it. If you don't have a kid with it you most certainly know of one that does.

Having said that, someone innocently asked me on Sunday at church if we'd all had a nice Spring Break. At which point I ripped him a new one. "NO, we did not have a nice Spring Break. It rained an inch a day. We talked about the ice cream truck and played ice cream truck songs on the computer from 6 AM to 8 PM. We..." I ran through my entire litany of things I'd been just storing up for that very reason.

I then called Nancy and said, "Can you believe that anyone that knows me, dared to ask if I had a nice Spring Break?" I was outraged. Righteously so? No. Nonetheless? Yes. It hit my "You Just Don't Get It" button which is about as big as the Sears Tower.

My friend Val, that has a kid on the complete opposite end of the dreaded Bell Curve, does get it. "Did you survive Spring Break?" she asked me Monday when I popped by her office for something.

"Thank you for not asking if I had a nice Spring Break," I said.

"I know better than to ask that," she said with a smile.

"Did you survive with grace?" she asked?

Obviously not, or I would not have bitten the head off of a man just being nice. Survival can't be the only goal, we can't forget about grace.

3 comments:

fullsoulahead.com said...

Love.

kario said...

Isn't every day Autism Awareness Day in your neighborhood?

I'm glad Spring Break is over for you. I'm spending Lola's with her this week and Eve's with her next week while Bubba flies off to Chicago and Silicon Valley. Next year, I'm thinking about taking my own SB somewhere alone. Wanna join me?

Amber said...

Yeah. I do get it. This is how I feel when people ask me if I saw my mom for Easter/Christmas/Mother's Day etc... Really? Shut up.

:)

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards BrenĂ© Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...