Monday, June 3, 2013

The Girl Likes to Sparkle

If we're ever going to change the way people think about those with different abilities, it has to start with the way those with different abilities, think about themselves. It ripples from there. I just had to share with you something my friend, Susan, shared with me, that her daughter, Kara, wrote. Kara is not only "ok" with her differences, she is grateful for them. Without further ado, I bring you Kara:

im not ateenager any more now im now adult now and im 31 now so  thisis from my heart and i love you alot mom  i want you to know that  because you are the best mom  love kara your first daughter im so lucky you hade me and you gave me down syndrome beacause you made me verry verry special and that is why  you gave me dowsyhdrome  becacuse i mean alot to you  im you first daughter with down syndrome and  you gave me something special and that was freedom  and now im taking  trimet now and i love it alot i love my feedom  and i love you  and i have lots of people watching over me and i love it alot and you will always be part of my life your my mom and i love you alot love kara your daughter

If you can't get enough of Kara, and who can? here's a short YouTube video that will only take your smile from big to gigantic:

2 comments:

fullsoulahead.com said...

I love her and everything about her. Thanks for making me smile this AM.

kario said...

You hit that nail on the head! Until we can all embrace our own unique qualities that make us who we are, we cannot expect the world to acknowledge them, either. What a lovely tribute to Kara's mom that she helped her daughter recognize her gifts. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards BrenĂ© Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...