Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Blast from the Past

 My picture and "story"


Cover


Geary's page

Gregg's page



You gotta love Facebook. How else would you ever hear from your friend, Gregg, that you haven't seen since grade school? I got a friend request from him, and I immediately accepted. I knew exactly who he was the minute I saw his name. You know how those first grade memories are burned in your brain like no other?

Gregg has a twin brother, Geary, I had both in my classes. Not only that, Gregg and Geary have twin younger SISTERS, and also an older brother. How do you forget a family with two sets of twins? So, not only did that mother of five live to tell the tale, she kept scrapbooks for each! Gregg found his first grade directory with all our phone numbers and addresses in it - he remembers our teacher, Mrs. Whitlock, giving us the directory as a reward for memorizing our addresses and phone numbers. He freaked me out by "remembering" my parents' names and our address from 44 years ago, then he confessed he was cheating.

I told Gregg I could put my hands on my first grade book the class made me after I brought my bird, Friday, for show and tell. Of all the things I've tossed through all the years and moves, that has always survived. It's as valuable to me now as it was then. I remember how special  it made me feel, and who knows how that played into me being an elementary teacher? My handwriting has changed very little in all these years, and really, I'm still that little girl.

4 comments:

kario said...

Awesome! Last year I found a book of poems my class wrote in 7th grade after my poet-stepfather came to talk to the class. I contacted a few of my FB friends and asked if they wanted to read our lame attempts at poetry. Such fun to look back at the things we wrote then!

Amber said...

Aww, cute!

:)

fullsoulahead.com said...

So cute! I love that the bird's name was Friday.

Tanya Savko said...

I love this! Several years ago my mom gave me a box of my old school stuff, and my little illustrated poems that I wrote in first grade are on the same paper that your story is on!

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards Brené Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...