Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Walking Alone Together

"I know why families were created, 
with all their imperfections.
They humanize you. They are made to make 
you forget yourself occasionally, so that
the beautiful balance of life is not destroyed."
- Anais Nin

This is a recent picture of my cousin, Julie, and me. We are six months apart in age (I'm older). She is one of my dearest friends and certainly the longest.

We have much in common: world views, eye color, our mothers are sisters, love of sweets, on and on the list goes.

On a day-to-day basis our family lives are very different. One could say she is living the "normal" of the two lives - three busy children, a husband with a demanding career, a part-time job of her own, a house to run, parents to take care of, property to maintain, friends in crisis, etc.

Yesterday Michelle O'Neil left a comment on one of my blog posts, "No one can truly know what it is like to walk in your shoes. We each walk our own path but I hold sacred space beside you, as we walk alone together."

When I read that I thought about all my friends, blog friends, acquaintances, etc., but mostly I thought about Julie, and just how true that is. No matter how different our lives are on the outside, inside we are together, walking. Walking together. Forever.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, soul sisters.
a soul family.

how wonderful

( and the photo is beautiful, radiant, beautiful )

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Yes, that's exactly how it is. Lovely post.

Deb Shucka said...

I love the picture! And that you have each other, and recognize just what it is you do have in each other.

Anonymous said...

Love.

xo

Mitch-elle

Wanda said...

This post feels so good. Nothing more can be made than that.

Lori said...

What a great perspective on how we all live.

Ask Me Anything said...

ditto Wanda

kario said...

I love knowing that you have someone like that in your life. I hope we all do. Priceless!

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

I love the comment that Michelle left. Power to you and Rojo.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have such a connection

Alysia said...

beautiful. We should all be so lucky to have a connection like you have with her.

alysia
http://trydefyinggravity.wordpress.com

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards Brené Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...