Friday, July 16, 2010

Sense of Accomplishment



So often I forget how great it feels to do something all by yourself. It's so hard to teach Rojo to do things for himself and so hard to be patient as he tries, and so hard to resist jumping in to make them go faster/easier/cleaner.

But.

Every year a few months before his birthday I start brain washing him about the next big hurdle he's going to cross when he turns a year older. One year it was riding a two-wheeler. Last year it was taking a shower (instead of a bath - a big deal due to his Sensory Processing Disorder). So, for the last year he's showered, but I've helped. I've washed his hair. I've dried him off. I've picked out his pajamas. I've put the dirty clothes in the laundry room, hung up the towel, shut the shower curtain. Basically he stood in one spot and sort of rubbed soap on himself.

So, for the last few months I've been telling him that 14-year-old boys need to completely shower by themselves - no mothers allowed. AND, they need to shower every single day. Last night he did the shower and hair, but wanted help drying off (crossing the midline is a bitch).

Tonight I said, "Rojo, it's time to go upstairs and take your whole shower by yourself. I'll be downstairs waiting for you, and when you come back down, I will flip my wig five times (something I said once inadvertently and it has stuck - he's loathe to miss a wig flipping opportunity).

Darned if the boy didn't run upstairs, get himself a clean towel, shower, wash hair, dry off (sort of) put on clean pajamas and come back downstairs, in under five minutes! (The hanging of the towel and subsequent trip to the laundry room will be tomorrow).

Cannot TELL you how proud of him I was.

But the best thing of all was how proud he was of himself.

* Photo from http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com

17 comments:

Deb Shucka said...

Proud of you both!!!! So many colors of success here, so much to celebrate. You know, the hanging up of the towel may never happen, right? Something in that y chromosome I think. :-)

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!! Hooray for you both!!

Me said...

I'm rolling!

The wig flipping reference is hysterical!!

Anonymous said...

Progress, it's wonderful.

Unknown said...

I could so feel your excitement and pride coming through here.

( you should vlog that wig flippig thing :) )

Leslie at SugarAndSpiceADK. said...

This is HUGE, Carrie, HUGE!

kario said...

Take a bow! Both of you!

And if you can get him to do what he is supposed to with the towel, please come to my house for a weekend and run a clinic for Bubba and the girls. I'll pay you!

fullsoulahead.com said...

Please, Carrie. I'm begging you. Do a You Tube video of the wig flipping. That is going to be on my list of things I want to see before I die.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Proud, indeed! Beaming!

Anonymous said...

You will probably have better luck getting Rojo to hang up the towel than I have had with my (almost) 14 year old...
Cngratulations!
-e-

Kathi said...

Excellent! A triumph. The hanging of the towel will come!

Tabitha Bird said...

WooHooo Rojo! Um... Wig flipping?

Ms. TK said...

YES!

and yes. crossing the midline IS a bitch.

Mazel Tov!

Wanda said...

Ditto Michelle.

Amber said...

Heh! He could do it the whole time! Sucker!! LOL
(he prolly just thinks you need to feel needed...poor mom. haha!)

:)

Lola said...

I like this SO MUCH!

jess said...

Huge. Friggin huge. Hope - gotta love it. Thank you.

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards BrenĂ© Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...