Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Papa


Donald Edward Link
11/19/25 - 10/29/12

Heaven has a new angel, and his name is Papa. We lost STM's dad yesterday after a wild 18-day ride through ER, the hospital, rehab, ICU, and finally Hospice. Throughout the ordeal there has been more blessings than battles, more tenderness than toughness, and more love than loss.

The above picture was taken the day after Rojo was born - the three Link men. They had much in common, stubbornness being right at the top of the list. STM and I were joking about that several days ago, and he said, "The only other person on par with Papa for stubbornness, is Rojo." 

I asked, "What about YOU?" 

"They are 6A and I'm only 4A. True, I'm All-State 4A, but they are in a whole different league."

Papa's stubbornness got him through a horrible childhood - and instead of turning angry and having a victim mentality, he decided he'd be a whole different type of father and husband. And he was.

He lived on his terms and he died on his terms, full of gratitude, humor and thoughtfulness to the very end. Lying in ER after being put through the wringer, we asked how he was doing. "Doing OK, some people have it a lot worse." That was so Papa.

Once he was in the hospital on "the floor," he was in such pain, but always aware of and thinking about his wife of 60 years. "Can I get you anything, Dode?" he asked in his semi-conscious state. 

She joked back, "Yea, you can hop up and hang up my raincoat!" 

"If you're OK, I think I'll just rest," he said, before drifting out of consciousness.

One of the last "conversations" STM had with him, Papa said, "Now don't get all carried away."

"What do you mean?" STM asked.

"You know what I mean," he said.

Papa was practical. Papa was frugal. Papa was kind, loving, funny, and could fix anything, but he couldn't fix his worn out body, one more time.

We know what you mean, Papa. We won't get all carried away. But we will hold you in our hearts forever.


8 comments:

Wanda said...

Blessings to all of you. What a wonderful legacy of love and loving men he left. May you all find comfort and peace.

fullsoulahead.com said...

Love and blessings to you and STM and Rojo and your girl, and especially to Papa's bride.

Love.
Love.
Love.

((Links))).

kario said...

"Throughout the ordeal there has been more blessings than battles, more tenderness than toughness, and more love than loss."

I love that you had this experience with him, despite the fact that he's gone. I am so sorry for you and your family, but so grateful that you all had the relationships with him that you had. The fact that you recognized his efforts to make a different life for himself than he started with is enormous and I'm certain he appreciated it whether you ever said it to him or not.

Love, love, love.

Elizabeth said...

I am sorry, so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing a bit of your father-in-law with us, here -- his grace shone through your prose. I send you and your family and all those who mourn him comfort and love --

Leslie at SugarAndSpiceADK. said...

What an amazing, inspirational many your father and law was, Carrie! I can only wish that certain people in my life, who also had horrid childhoods, could have his positive attitude towards the gift of life.....kisses to your whole family.

Tanya Savko said...

So very sorry for your family's loss. He sounds a lot like my dad, who was always praying for those "worse off" than himself, even at the end. Sending much love to all of you.

Me said...

Lots of LOVE to your family

Amber said...

Oh my. This made me cry, and LOL.
He was my very favorite kind of person!

Traveling mercies to him, and all of you right now, friend.

oxoxo :)

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards BrenĂ© Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...