Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Normal

When Rojo and I met with his new developmental pediatrician (and she went through our story from the beginning), she asked a lot of questions about how things operate now for him, and for the family. I think she was trying to have the full picture in her head so she can advise us going forward, and I appreciate it. We aren't in crisis. I told her we weren't in crisis. I told her we used to be and now we're not, and really, we're just after staying the course we're on.

About every two minutes she said, "So, you've adapted..." or, "Wow, you've really adapted," or, "That's not a problem because you've adapted."

It's weird to watch someone reflect back to you your life as they see it, particularly an "expert." I would never have used the word "adapted" to describe what we've all done, but that's exactly what it is, we've adapted. Rojo has done his share of adapting, but by in large, STM, Woohoo, his family, friends and I, we've adapted. One might call it "giving up," but I am going to go big with adapted. Do the four of us ever go to a restaurant? No, we've "adapted." Do we ever go see a movie, or even sit around the flat screen together in our very own house? No, we've "adapted." There is very little about our lives that looks like everyone else we know, but we're so used to it now, it's our normal. Our at long last, adapted, accepted, at peace with, normal.




8 comments:

Amber said...

But you are not normal. You are awesome!

:)

Anonymous said...

That must be what they mean by the "new normal"

Elizabeth said...

You're always so positive, and I learn much from you here.

Sometimes, I feel like I've "adapted" too much -- the kind of weird adapting to seizures, let's say, at the dinner table. My sons often stop what they're doing, help me with their sister and then continue on with the eating as if it had never happened or always happens --

Leslie at SugarAndSpiceADK. said...

My motto is, "whatever works!"....each family is different, with different challenges...

fullsoulahead.com said...

Your adapting is amazing. Funny what love can do.

kario said...

Your 'normal' is beautiful. And I think it's great that your new doctor saw that and acknowledged it.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Adapted. You're right, I never would have used that word either. Our live revolved around Katie and making sure it worked for her.

Unknown said...

I guess what I don't like about the word "adapted" is there isn't room in it for all the LOVE that went into adapting...lucky us, we all know how much love each of you has shown to each other in the process.

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards BrenĂ© Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...