Thursday, December 27, 2012

Thank You

I woke up with the day-after-Christmas blues, one day late. Yesterday we kept busy, STM and Woohoo went back to work (she has a 3-week gig), Rojo and I went to yogurt with Kathleen and exchanged our Christmas presents with her. Then Rojo, my mom and I went over to visit my cousin and two of her kids that are visiting from Chicago, that was fun, and kept the festive feeling alive.

Today the it's-all-over-but-I-am-not-ready-to-put-it-all-away feeling crept in. I need to go to the grocery store. And the bank. And the drug store. And get gas. I need to do a lot of things that have been put off until "after Christmas," and the list overwhelms me, so I decided the thing to do was make an eggnog latte and sit down and write thank you notes. If I've learned anything, it's that nothing chases the blues away like a big dose of gratitude.

I gave Rojo personalized notecards for Christmas, and he was game to start using them today. He even embellished them slightly, veering from his standard, "Thank you, love, Rojo." As I sat down with my stack, lighted candle, pretty music and yummy drink, a feeling of deep thankfulness swelled up and washed away the blahs. The gifts themselves are lovely, and I appreciate them, but more than that, I appreciate the givers. I appreciate the thought that went into them. I appreciate, in four cases, that unexpected people gave me unexpected gifts that were right up my alley - and with no expectation of being given a gift in return.

And isn't that what a gift is? A gift? Not half of an equation, not part of an arrangement, not an obligation, not blind obedience to tradition, just simply an act of love?


hg said...

Way to turn it around and find the gift in your post holiday blues!

Elizabeth said...

I had nearly the exact feeling as you when I woke this morning, and the busy day helped to dispel the blues, but it was the writing of thank-you notes with my boys that really extinguished them!

Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family!


I find that when I'm down if I get busy doing anything, even dishes, my spirits rise. Busy hands? Not sure. It just works. Your way sounds much better, with eggnog and all. Love it.
Have a super New Year.
Blessings, Barb

kario said...

Quintessential Carrie. Thank YOU for this.


Nancy said...

I love the way you transform things Carrie. When I get the blues, I usually open your blog page for inspriation. :)

Me said...

I'm going to try this next time.