Sunday, March 22, 2020

TAG

I haven't taught TAG (Talented and Gifted) students for over 20 years. Didn't like the name then, don't like it now, but did love the job. It was part-time and I had so much autonomy. I came in, did my job, and left. I loved my students and my funky boiler-room-turned-classroom.

A recurring dream of mine has been that I've forgotten I have the job, and have simply not shown up at work for weeks, possibly months. One day it dawns on me, Oops! I have not done my job! Then panic sets in and I don't even know where to start. Do I even actually have the job? Maybe I got fired! Would it be weird if I were to show up now? 

Had that dream again last night, but it had a coronavirus twist. There was no school being held, but I was still supposed to do my job--from home. The students were going to come to my house, so I was scrambling to prepare with what I had at home. I went through files and pulled out activities I thought they would enjoy, and I could teach from my dining room. 

Woke up before the students arrived, but not before I'd successfully prepared.

That's really all any of us can do--successfully prepare and wait. We are the students. We are the teachers. We are the lessons. We are talented, and we are gifted. We got this.


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad you're positive, because you've always been so, to me. Thank you.

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards BrenĂ© Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...