Saturday, March 14, 2020

A Simple Prayer

We have lost a beloved member of our community, Dottie. Not long ago she learned she had Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Now, she is gone. Dottie and Wil had a special bond. She was a neighbor, parishioner, cool grandma-like person to him. They made each other laugh. Several times she and her husband had Wil over to hang out--once, I was invited too. The four of us sat around the table and had snacks and drinks and yucked it up.

She is deeply missed.

When Wil learned of her death, he suggested he write sympathy cards to Dottie's husband and niece--a family friend of ours. In the card for Dottie's husband he wrote, "SORRY BOUT YOUR WIFE WE HAD GREAT PIANO MEMORIES AND IPAD AND TV" In the card for our friend and her family, he wrote, "SORRY FOR A HUGE LOSS YOUR PRAYERS ARE WITHIN US" then he put a big smiley face. 

He may have meant, "Our prayers are with you," but who knows? I prefer "Your prayers are within us," anyway. I'm switching over. 

In kindergarten both my children learned a simple, yet profound prayer: "We pray for all those who are sad, afraid, hurt or alone." For all of you who are sad, afraid, hurt or alone, your prayers are within us.

Amen. 


2 comments:

fullsoulahead.com said...

Beautiful. Love your boy.

Laurabeth said...

I remember Dottie, and am so sorry to hear she has died. I join you in prayer.

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards BrenĂ© Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...