Monday, April 27, 2020

Something Worth Keeping

For whatever reason, the Comcast account I've had for a million years, would not accept my password. It quickly became obvious that I would need a new password, which set off a whole chain of events, culminating with me losing all my "mailboxes" in Apple Mail, that were associated with Comcast.

Gone.

Dozens of folders I'd meticulously kept since I got the account... when was that, 20 years ago? I am a backer-upper, so I figured there would be a way to reclaim them using my external hard drive, Time Machine, or some combination thereof.

After many Google searches and attempts, the files were not restored. I could probably call Apple and try and have someone walk me through it on the phone, but the phone weighs two hundred pounds and the likely wait time stops me from doing so.

It feels a little like walking into my basement and discovering someone has given away all my junk. There is relief the basement is clean, but I never went through it to make sure something in there wasn't worth keeping.

Truth be told? I couldn't really tell you what 98% of those files were called or what they held. The ones I'm finding myself needing now, I have recreated and found messages from what I guess is the "cloud." 

I don't know how all this works.

I do know that we are all experiencing loss, and discovering that some things we are missing badly, and others, not so much. Having "things" removed suddenly and very little control over how and if we can get them back, causes us to grieve. 

Richard Rohr calls this time we're in, liminal space. a sense of being in between. What do we discard? What is worth keeping? 


No comments:

Sorry Not Sorry

I'm sorry I keep pointing you towards BrenĂ© Brown's podcast,  Unlocking Us , but I'm not that  sorry.* I've appreciated ever...